NAMI is the National Alliance on Mental Illness, the largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to improving the lives of persons living with serious mental illness and their families. Founded in 1979, NAMI has become the nation’s voice on mental illness, a nationwide organization with affiliates in every state and in more than 1,100 local communities across the country. What Is the NAMI Mission? NAMI is dedicated to the eradication of mental illnesses and to the improvement of the quality of life of all who are affected by these diseases. What Does NAMI Do? NAMI members and friends work tirelessly to meet shared NAMI goals through many activities. These include:
- Family and Consumer Peer Education and Support
- NAMI’s education programs include Family-to-Family, the Provider Education Program, Peer-to-Peer, support groups, and various state and local programs.
- Public Education and Information www.nami.org, provides information, referrals, and education to over 15,000 visitors each day. 1(800)950-6264, the NAMI HelpLine, fields over 4,000 requests each month. Public awareness activities, including Mental Illness Awareness Week and the StigmaBusters network, and In Our Own Voice help dispel the stigma associated with mental illness and encourage early intervention and treatment.
- Advocacy on Behalf of People Living with Mental Illness NAMI advocates on the federal, state, and local levels for nondiscriminatory and equitable public and private-sector policies, as well as for federally-funded research for treatment and cures for mental illness. NAMI’s Campaign for the Mind of America is a political partnership initiative to strengthen relationships with community leaders and elected officials. Through the Campaign, NAMI advocates for policies that are reflective of the best economic, science, recovery, and systems choices.
- Nine NAMI Action Centers include the Multicultural Action Center, the Child & Adolescent Action Center, and the Law and Criminal Justice Action Center. These Centers advocate for unique populations and develop and disseminate information to meet specific needs.
- Public Events That Raise Funds and Awareness
- NAMIWalks is NAMI’s signature fundraising event. Thousands of concerned citizens in over 50 communities across the nation Walk for the Mind of America to raise funds and awareness.